Friday, August 14, 2009

So many emotions, so little time...

Wow, it's been a really shocking/crazy/hectic/depressing two weeks. So many emotions in such a short period of time, it really is hard to process through everything. I guess I should start back with last week.

I went to Brownsville, Texas with two professors that I am a research assistant for at Baylor University. We're working on a Hispanic Active Relationships Program grant that does marriage education classes. Brownsville is the second poorest city in the nation and evidence of this was all over the town. I feel as though my time at Baylor has been a life changing one for me. I look at the world through a different set of eyes now. I couldn't help but be affected by all that I was seeing. How can so many people live in such poverty while nothing is done to help? I wondered about resources available to the residents in Brownsville. It just pulled at my heart so much and I can definitely see myself working in the nonprofit community organization sector for a career (this was further reinforced by this morning's shoe shopping made possible by the Meyer's Center). I wish life came with a manual!

This week has been super hard for me. My grandfather, Bruce C. Lane, died on Tuesday.


My grandpa was a wonderful man with so many great stories. I was fortunate to be one of the few with whom he shared his experiences in the Army and WWII. I loved looking through his photo album and hearing him tell me stories not because I love history (although I do!) but because this was my grandfather and it was his life. When you become a grandparent, you've already had experiences as a child and parent and I think people forget to share those with their grandchildren. It was such a special thing for me to be able to have that connection with him. It's been rough and I'm going to miss him dearly.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry for the loss of your grandfather. I still miss mine, and he passed five years ago.

    ReplyDelete