Thursday, April 1, 2010

Things are starting to look better

This morning I actually woke up before my alarm went off. I used to do this back before grad school when I had somewhat of a routine schedule.

But this morning ... well it felt different. I felt different. I have always struggled with thinking of myself as a grown up but, for some reason, this morning, I felt older. That still wasn't it though, something was still different.

I went to work and ran around meeting with clients and trying not to think about all the work I had to get done outside of work. Then I checked my email and got an email that just made my day, my semester, made all these sleepless nights and emotional days worth it. I know people want to know what it said but I'm conflicted about sharing because I feel as though I'd be bragging and that's not right because I don't have the right to brag. I'm no different than anyone else. So right now, I'm just honored.

I had a Social Work Appreciation Tea today. March was National Social Work month. Our VP of Human Relations has her Masters in Social Work and has a tea at her condo every year in appreciation of all that we do. I didn't want to go. I hate going to functions alone and avoid them as much as possible. My supervisor told me that I should go. She said she was going so I said okay. Then today she told me she wasn't. Everyone else I talked to said they weren't going but the Director of Oncology sent out a page and an email saying we needed to make sure we went. So I drove out there ... by myself. And I walked into a condo where I didn't know ANYONE. In any other situation, I probably would have driven away as soon as I got there but I didn't this time. I was so uncomfortable; I wanted to leave. But I stayed. The VP came up and introduced herself to me. We started chatting and I stayed for about 20 minutes. When I left, I found her and thanked her for the tea. She asked what I was up to and I told her where I had applied for a job. She asked if she could do anything and I jokingly said that if she knew them, that'd be great. She said for me to leave my name with her because she's friends with the president of the board. So I think that everything happens for a reason. I would never have stayed at the tea but now I'm thinking maybe I was meant to ... I guess we'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment