Monday, February 7, 2011

Tales from the Trenches....

Let's have story time, shall we? How about the story of the social worker who had a long night in the emergency department that included said social worker having a breakdown? That sounds like a good one .....

When I'm on call at night, I cover more than one hospital in the area. On this particular night, I received a call to one of the emergency departments (ED) asking me to come in because they had a patient who was brought in by the police for a suicide attempt. He was at the ED under a 72 hour mandatory hold and needed to be transferred to a psychiatric facility which is the job for the social worker. As I headed out to the ED, I got a call from a children's hospital asking me to go there and talk with a family that was having a really hard time coping. Generally, the only reason I get called to the children's hospital is for a death. I really didn't know what was going on because the person who called me in wasn't the best at answering my questions.

Whenever, I get called for multiple patients, I have to triage (prioritize) them. The children's hospital becomes top priority. I called the ED and let them know that I was headed their way but I had to go to the children's hospital first. The clerk at the ED said ok and then asked me how long I was going to be. Are you kidding me? People in the hospital know that death is the reason you go to the children's hospital 99% of the time at night. They didn't need to know the reason why I was going to the children's hospital, they only needed to know that I was going. I t was completely unbelievable that they were asking me how long I was going to be.

Anyway, I shrugged it off and kept on my way. Five minutes later, the ED doc called and said they knew I was going to the children's hospital and wanted to know how long I was going to be. I simply answered I didn't know and I would get there as soon as possible. I went to the children's hospital and met with the family. After spending time with them, I said a prayer and thanked God for my career and helping me find what I truly believe I'm called to do.

As I drove to the ED, I got ANOTHER call asking how long I would be. Now this is what gets me, the ED clerk was calling and said I know you're at ******* but we just want to know how long you're going to be. There is a good chance that everyone at the ED thinks I'm dealing with a death which then means that they know they are interrupting me. Could you be any more inconsiderate? I stated I was on my way and then hung up on them. Yep, I did.

I walked into the ED and the first thing I hear is "You're FINALLY here".

To which I promptly responded:
"I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure I let you know that I had to go to ******* because I have to triage my cases and that one took priority. I let you know that I was going to be here as soon as possible and, yet, you called several times asking me how long I would be. Tell you what, the next time this happens, I'll pass the phone to the parents of the kiddo and you can ask them to hurry up their kid's death so you don't have to wait. Or better yet, why don't you just tell them to take their kid out back and shoot them? That would probably get me here faster."

**Awkward silence**

Yes, yes, I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment