Saturday, March 5, 2011

Men - Who Needs Them?

Apparently me.

Or rather, I need to become skilled in all those little areas one doesn't concern themselves with growing up. Either way, something has to give.

Two years ago after I ended a nasty relationship, I decided that I am better off alone. I have stated, quite vehemently at times, that I have absolutely no desire to ever be married or in a relationship for that matter. The fact that I don't have a desire to have kids makes this an easy decision. I've grown accustomed to the looks when people hear this - after all, it goes against nature, right? Isn't the role of women to grow up, get married, and repopulate the Earth? Wake up people; it's 2011. There are more than enough children out there wanting to be adopted and more than enough people who are having kids (mind you, some of these people shouldn't be) that I don't think my personal choice will really have a large impact on our future. I've heard all too many times: "You just haven't found the right guy" or "Just give it time". No, not for me. The idea of spending my life with one person is enough to drive me mad. I was known as the one date wonder in college - you expect me to last 50+ years? Ha.

Now, I was carrying on in my independent life quite successfully. I have made some friends in my new town. Well, I thought one was a friend until it became obvious he was trying to date me. I put the kibosh on that one. Apparently he thought my view was a challenge. So imagine my surprise when I found myself in situations without a clue what to do and wishing I had a guy in my life....

1) My car died - twice. And not your normal car died and you just asked the stranger next to you to jumpstart it. Died as in violently shook and keeled over. If I was back home, simple solution - call my dad or brother. 500 miles away makes this slightly more difficult. Solution - call your insurance company and have it towed and hope to find rides to and from work.

2) The automatic garage door no longer opens. No big deal since we don't park our cars in there anyway (oh gosh, that would have been a nightmare). Wait, that's where our massive trashcans are ... and full. No big deal, it manually opens .... until you try and it doesn't. I don't even know where to start in fixing that - I honestly stared at it for awhile hoping it would magically fix itself. It didn't. I had to drag our massive trashcan through the house to take it to the curb. No bueno.

3) My DVR has suddenly stopped working. It worked last night. It does not work today. I know that there's a customer service number or some junk like that but it's the weekend and they always give you a crappy time frame of when they'll be at your house requiring you to take the entire day off of work. That doesn't work for me. I don't get days off.

And there have been other situations which aren't on the level of these - more of annoyances like car registration and oil changes and mowing the grass. Those I can just suck up and do myself. But these three are not fun for a single gal. I am working very hard on trying to fight the typical gender roles but I can recognize that the male gender tends to have an uncanny knack for figuring these things out (the car problems I know will be hit or miss). My solutions have been to just stare at the problem and then walk away but that isn't actually fixing it.

I wonder if there's a How To Be a Guy class offered anywhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment