Sunday, January 17, 2010

Free Time!

I love this semester. For the first time since I started grad school I have free time. I worked like crazy this past summer and didn't have much time left over for reading. I've already finished two books and have a small stack of others to read. However, in looking over my stack, I realize that I choose some pretty heavy reading materials.

- Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert - the only real light reading of the bunch

- Between Me and the River by Carrie Host - a cancer memoir

- The Informed Heart: On retaining the self in a dehumanizing society by Bruno Bettelheim - Based on his experiences in the concentration camps at Dachau and Buchenwald, The Informed Heart is at once a classic report on that experience and an enlightening and liberating answer to all who fear the loss of self in mass society.

- Gods and Generals by Jeff Shaara - I LOVE history. Love it. This is part of the Killer Angels triology and covers Civil War battles told from the perspectives of key players on both sides. I am going to take some trips out to historic sights once the weather gets a little better.

- Enslaved edited by Jesse Sage and Liora Kasten - True stories of modern day slavery. Sad. Heartbreaking. Overwhelming.

1 comment:

  1. I have read two of these books, Enslaved and Eat, Pray, Love. Both great reads. I think Eat, pray, love is one of my favorite books. glad you are having a good time!!

    ReplyDelete