Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

This is going to have to be a short post since I have to hit the road tomorrow morning to head back to Baltimore but I wanted to post seeing as how it is now officially 2010. I can't remember making any New Year's Resolutions last year but I am definitely making them this year. 2009 was not so great - a lot of pain and grief. 2010 seems to be promising according to my yearly horoscope. I'm not one to put a lot of stock in what they say but I do tend to believe them a little :-) and this is why ... according to it, starting in January, I'll be in a different job with new responsibilities. In July, I will either get a different job or move higher up in my current one. Financially, this year will see marked improvement over last year's financial situation, however, it won't start to show until June. My love life is also going to improve. I have made mistakes in my past but I will have the opportunity to find newfound love this year. So of course I'm excited!

So my resolutions are:
1) To live simply.
2) To be happy.
3) To love freely.
4) To take care of myself body and soul.
5) To be more positive.
6) To live a greener life.

To live simply - during my time packing my apartment, I decided I have way too much stuff. I need to cut down on a lot of things. I also need to watch my spending. So this year, I will only purchase the necessities for myself. That means no more clothes or movies or music. I realize that this will also help my second resolution in a way. You see, a long time ago before grad school, I had a phenomenally paying job. I bought anything I wanted. However, I realized that this made life difficult for others since I was never wanting for anything. I also learned that money does not buy happiness and found myself wishing for time with others over material possessions. So this year, I will spend more time with friends both new and old and family. I will have to work hard at this one since everyone I know will be in different towns/cities/states/countries. Resolution #3 to love freely - I've been thinking about this one since I left Baltimore. I and I have had a lot of text conversations and some phone conversations. I have to admit that I am truly looking forward to seeing him again. In the beginning I had reservations (which is a post for another time) but I have decided there's no reason why I shouldn't allow myself to be happy. So I will see where this goes and I will be open to whatever comes my way. I will definitely have to reflect on this some more. Resolution #4 to take care of myself body and soul - I need to really focus on this one. I appreciate the beauty of life and the fact that it is a fragile gift. However, when I think about the next 3.5 months, I realize that it will be challenging and tough. Death is never an easy thing for anyone and I have chosen to pursue this as a career. People look at me like I'm crazy but I don't care. I truly feel that God is calling me to do this. So I need to make sure that I practice self care so that I don't burn out. I also hate what has happened to my body over the past two years .. more so this past year. This needs to change especially since I can't buy any clothes this year! So I will exercise more and eat a healthier diet. I just want to stop being so self conscious about everything. I envy people who are secure with their bodies. Resolution #5 to be more positive - I have realized that I gossip a lot. This needs to stop. I also realize that I believe there is no difference between thinking something negative and saying it. So I will be focusing on thinking more positive things and gossiping less. This one will be the toughest I think. And resolution #6 to live a greener life - I used to try and do this and just need to get back in the habit. I will try not to waste as much and be conscious of what I'm doing. I have a reusable lunch bag with reusable sandwich and snack bags that my sister made me for Christmas. I also have grocery bags. I will try to not drive as much and walk whenever possible.

I will periodically reflect on these this year. But for now this will due. After all, I still need to get some sleep tonight for my long drive tomorrow. Two days and I'll be back in Baltimore. I can't wait to see what 2010 holds in store.

Happy New Year to everyone! May this year bring you wonderful opportunities and happy memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment